Now that Oregon State Democrats have super majority in both the House and Senate they no longer will be outdone by Washington State or California as being known as the gun control freaks. If S.501 is approved, this will complete the transition and make the west coast completely unfriendly to gun owners. The S.501 Gun Control Bill demonstrates how far the gun grabbing legislators will go to infringe on the second amendment rights and gun ownership. The following are the main points of the S.501 Gun Control Bill:
- Requires person to secure permit before purchasing or otherwise receiving firearm. Specifies qualifications for permit and manner of applying for permit. Creates procedures for appealing denial of permit. Punishes receipt of firearm without valid permit by maximum of 364 days’ imprisonment, $6,250 fine, or both.
- Requires person who owns or possesses firearm to secure firearm with trigger or cable lock or in locked container. Punishes failure to secure firearm by maximum of 30 days’ imprisonment, $1,250 fine, or both.
- Requires person who owns or possesses firearm to report to law enforcement agency loss or theft of firearm within 24 hours. Punishes failure to report loss or theft by maximum of 30 days’ imprisonment, $1,250 fine, or both.
- Prohibits possession of magazine with capacity to hold more than five rounds of ammunition. Provides that person in possession of such magazine must sell or otherwise dispose of magazine within 180 days of effective date of Act. Punishes unlawful possession of magazine capable of holding more than five rounds by maximum of 364 days’ imprisonment, $6,250 fine, or both.
- Requires criminal background check before transfer of ammunition. Restricts ammunition receipt to 20 rounds within 30-day period.
- Prohibits transfer of firearm by gun dealer or private party until latter of 14 days or Department of State Police has determined that recipient is qualified to receive firearm.
Comments to this insane Senate Bill S.501
Gun licensing isn’t infringement, right? A young woman who has just had her life threatened can afford the wait time involved in chasing down the paperwork to defend herself. A man can wait until he can get away during business hours, hoping the right government bureaucrat is even in that day, to start the permit process to gain the permission of all knowing state to protect his family… you know, a natural human right.
A month in jail and $1,250 out of your funds to the state of Oregon (plus every other cost involved) if you don’t use a security device circumventable by hardware store bolt cutters Now believe me, I am a safe storage advocate. There is no magic device, however, that makes a security measure a full proof thing. Locked in a closet could work one person while a safe works for another. If we want to prosecute criminal negligence lets set the standard at actual criminal negligence. Someone leaves their shotgun loaded on the front lawn? Sure, prosecute. But that same someone who has their house broken into shouldn’t face a fine and jail time because they didn’t hinder their access to their property with a $6 cable.
Report of theft:
This one is actually pretty standard, and notification of law enforcement is intelligent. But, making a criminal of a crime victim?
Magazine Ban, anything over 5 rounds:
Name me the modern semi-auto pistol that has a readily available 5 round magazine? No? Nothing? 180 days from the law’s passage all nearly all semi-auto handguns, most rifles and most shotguns will become illegal to possess the normal functioning equipment for. Rendering them useless or requiring companies to make special Oregon products for and costing the citizenry more money to operate their property. It will also not prevent a crime or massacre. San Bernardino happened in a place where everything the assailants did and everything they possessed to commit their atrocity was illegal.
Ammunition Background Check and 20 round/month limit.
Again, say goodbye to commercially available items for any handgun owner. Oregon residents saving up for the average concealed carry class will have to wait 5 months.
Residents who want to take any professional level self defense class? Years. The MP5 course from Teufelshund Tactical would have taken 10 years of ammo purchases to save up for. But remember folks, it's not infringement. They respect the Second Amendment they just want to legislate it into uselessness.
Waiting Period, minimum 2 weeks.
A right delayed is a right denied, except for with firearms right? Let’s go back to any of the numerous scenarios where denying someone the most efficient means of defending themselves was a bad idea. Woman murdered by ex, despite Personal Protection Order, who was waiting for the paperwork to acquire her firearm to defend herself as is her natural God given right? Must be a straw-man argument right? It has never happened… well except all those one times.
If Senate Bill S.501 passes, this will be a very sad and dangerous day for Oregonians. Most Oregonian gun owners know that adhering to these proposed restrictions will limit their ability to defend themselves and family members against evil people.
For example if a group of evil people break into your house at night carrying guns to kill you, having a gun with only 5 bullets, will not be enough to defend yourself from being killed. The time it takes to remove a gun from safe storage might be too late to save your life or love ones.
Many won't adhere to these requirements because if they do, most likely them and family members could end up being killed themselves by people looking to do evil.