Sex and Circumcision: An American Love Story

Last week, Harvard University employee Eric Clopper performed a one-man show entitled “Sex and Circumcision: An American Love Story” in Sanders Theatre. Reports later claimed that, during his show, Clopper stripped to the nude and made anti-Semitic comments, including accusations that “the Jews” had “raped” him through the act of circumcision. As such, the University is reviewing the show and its apparent violation of the City of Cambridge’s entertainment license with Sanders Theatre, which prohibits nudity.

The Crimson Editorial Board’s harsh criticism of Clopper is in dire contrast with a University that embraces free discourse. The Editorial Board talks about an “unsuspecting” audience who had no “fair warning” with regards to the nudity that concluded a two hour lecture style presentation, even though it was advertised through posters depicting him naked and through cards handed out by volunteers dressed in phallus costumes on Harvard’s Campus, distinctively stating that it is for an adult audience. How can anyone with any sense of intuition assume that the play would be free of nudity? If anything, he could be accused of not providing enough in that department, since his show may have been too educational for those looking forward to some eroticism.

I was deeply moved by Clopper’s outrage about what has been done to his privates without his consent. Without this outburst, the lesson could have been missed. To accuse individuals with bigotry for the resentment they feel towards the society that allowed the forcible removal of erogenous genital tissue from their bodies is to invalidate and dismiss their feelings. Defending a practice in the name of religious tolerance is the kind of closed-mindedness that a University the caliber of Harvard should not espouse! It is this type of cultural relativism that would make it still legal in the US to slice into little girls’ genitals. That has been outlawed only as recently as 1997. Wake up Harvard! It is the 21st century and boys deserve the same protection as girls do! This is a human rights issue!

It really isn’t the audience editors should be worried about but the millions of boys who are subjected to this senseless practice whether in the name of religion or medicine. Eric’s account of how he became aware of what circumcision is and why it has become popular in the United States was so well documented that you really don’t need to fear for Clopper sowing confusion among Harvard students and the general public. In fact, if you haven’t seen it, you owe yourselves and your children the enlightening experience.

Eric Clopper is a courageous man and deserves every bit of respect and protection a civilized society can afford. Instead of silencing him and violating him once again with accusations of anti-Semitism, we should be proud of him! The Editorial Board's reaction sounds like the classic defensiveness of those experiencing cognitive-dissonance. As in Plato’s Allegory of the Cave, the chains of ignorance interfere with you seeing the truth. It is the duty of minds like Clopper’s to descend into the cave to educate the uninformed for the greater good. A peaceful naming ceremony, such as Brit Shalom, already exists as an alternative to cutting a boy. It respects both Judaism and a man’s right to his full, unaltered genitals. Why not embrace it?

Comments

Kurt Bresler Added May 14, 2018 - 11:25am
Let it be known that while Judaism has always required circumcision to show that a man is a Jew or God's chosen, Christianity of the New Testament has no such rule.
 I was driving near the University of Florida in Gainesville, Fl and there were people with signs at the intersection protesting circumcision.   Amazing that who knows or can tell whether circumcision really removes one's sensitivity.  Looks like that extra skin could get in the way of some real lovin'.   I guess a hundred or so active men who are not circumcised would have to volunteer to be circumcised so that we could get a good review of the difference.
Doug Plumb Added May 14, 2018 - 12:00pm
Institutions have been Judified and they don't permit criticism of their way. Its funny that Harvard has a Solzhenhitsyn Center and it has 25% Jews in its student population. Like the old saying goes: "To find out who rules over you, just ask who you may not criticize".
Stalin was the first to create anti semitism laws.
People are waking up. They are looking into the holocaust unguided by corporate and mainstream propagandists, they can do it, for now.
Riley Brown Added May 14, 2018 - 5:22pm
Adrienne as Kurt pointed out there is nothing but speculation about what a circumcised vs uncircumcised man feels and experiences.  From all I can see there is no difference in their libido or sexual appetites.

Circumcision may have been invented by Jews but these days millions of non Jews including Muslims and many Christians, also do.   Many people have it done hoping for fewer of the types of problems that have higher incidences in man who haven't been circumcised.

According to the CDC circumsized men have "a reduced risk of some sexually transmitted diseases in men. Protection against penile cancer and a reduced risk of cervical cancer in female sex partners. Prevention of balanitis (inflammation of the glans) and balanoposthitis (inflammation of the glans and foreskin).

That makes sense to me because the CDE has always said washing for several minutes immediately after sex reduces the chances transmission, and since few men jump right up and run into the wash room, I'd say whatever they come into contact with is more likely to stay warm, moist and in an infectious state if it gets covered by a foreskin than it if's not and dries quickly.

I don't know what type of sexually dysfunctional problems Eric Clopper has but he's looking the wrong place if he thinks he'd be more virile if he still had his foreskin.   I assure you most men seem to do quite well without them, Jewish or not.

I live in Southern California where Jews are an extreme minority and so are uncircumcised men who are not Jewish.  The vast majority of the public gets their male children circumcised right after birth, and it's got nothing to do with their religion.
A. Jones Added May 14, 2018 - 9:04pm
The guy was remonstrating against circumcision . . . and his last name was "Clopper"?

That's appropriate, I suppose.

We should be grateful that his first name was "Eric" rather than . . . "Dick."

(Just imagine:  "Hey, everybody! Dick Clopper here to protest circumcision!"  Save us.)
Cliff M. Added May 15, 2018 - 6:32am
"Who get's to keep the tip"?Church ideology and state interest's continue to inch closer . It is definitely a personal decision which should be in the best interest of parties involved.Similar to the abortion issue.
Adrienne Soti Added May 15, 2018 - 12:38pm
Riley, while there may be no difference in sexual appetite, it stands to reason that when a highly innervated piece of tissue is removed, the nerves contained within are no longer adding to sensation.  We know that the foreskin protects the head of the penis, even the AAP states this function on their website.  "The skin on the shaft of the penis becomes keratinized, while the surface of the foreskin adjacent to the glans is lined by squamous epithelium similar to mucosa of the mouth, vagina, and esophagus. The foreskin has a protective function by internalizing the glans penis and urethral meatus, similar to the eyelid covering the globe of the eye."

Men who are circumcised have a reduced sensation on the head of the penis due to keratinization and they are the main sufferers of meatal stenosis, a narrowing of the urethra, which results form irritation.  It is undeniable that the foreskin, as the only movable tissue on the penis, yields itself to self-stimulation and eliminates the need for lubrication.  It also provides the tissue that allows for a comfortable erection.  Since there is no specific line where the foreskin begins, it is quite variable, where the cut is made during circumcision. There are men who do have issues with not having enough skin left and experience pain at the circumcision scar and feel disfigured.  If you care to research this further, you will find numerous cases of complications that require additional surgery or which have resulted in loss of the entire penis or death.

It is comforting that most circumcised men are not aware of any dysfunctions but it is also what keeps them silent.  Nobody misses what they don't recall ever having.  Some men circumcised in adulthood, however, compare he sensation to going from a color TV to a black and white screen. Nevertheless, if an adult chooses circumcision because he believes--whether correctly or not--that it will reduce his risks of STDs more than safe sexual practices and condoms, it is his choice. Parents need not make this decision for a minor to whom this question does not apply.

The US is one of the last among English speaking countries where circumcision still persists but its STD are the highest.  Most countries in the world do not circumcise infants and are no worse off for it. Some countries have tried to outright ban it without a religious exemption.  California is actually the place circumcision is least prevalent in the US.  Medicaid no longer covers this surgery on infants in California and the latest statistics from the CDC show that in the West only 40 percent of infants were circumcised in 2010 vs. 64 percent in 1979.  The trend continues as more people take their cultural blinders off.

In my opinion, that is still a gross violation of children's rights to their full bodies.  There is no other healthy and functional body part or tissue that is removed without the consent of its owner for preventative purposes.  Surgery has very real risks, whereas leaving a child intact does not.  The foreskin is neither a disease nor a liability.  No one should be allowed to steal it off of a baby just because he is helpless and cannot fight back!  If a man perceives this as a rape on his genitals, is he delusional? Should he get tough and shut up?  It takes more guts to face the powerlessness and stand up for what is right.  Eric speaks for all the men whose rights have been trampled. The insanity and misinformation must stop.
Stone-Eater Added May 15, 2018 - 3:11pm
Oh shit.

Nature made me the way I am, and I am grateful that my parents didn't allow anybody to cut anything off my body other that nature wanted it. I mean women and men learn and KNOW how to clean themselves, and the rest is religious bullshit.
Stone-Eater Added May 15, 2018 - 3:14pm
Adrienne

Thank you.

My wife comes from Africa and was victim of excision. So I know what I talk about.
Jeffrey Kelly Added May 15, 2018 - 8:44pm
Being snipped down there never bothered me.  I'd rather be snipped than have a penis that looked like someone wrapped it in a piece of lunch meat.

While I agree that this man has a right to self expression and those who attended his show must've known what they were in for, frankly it sounds like he needs psychiatric help to work out his issues.
Riley Brown Added May 15, 2018 - 8:56pm
Adrienne I think the US is only about 2% Jewish, so if it's true that 40% are circumcised I think that indicates a whole lot of people think it's a good thing even if it has nothing to do with their religious beliefs.

You are right, those that don't have foreskins won't miss them, and if they lost some of their sensitivity I guess won't have to try hard to last longer so their partner can enjoy it more.

I always thought being able to last longer was a blessing not a curse, and from all I can see all guys really want is the orgasm, how long it takes is irrelevant to them as long as it happens.

You have lots of great trivia but I'd still circumcise because I believe the CDC when they say it usually results in less STD's and I'm positive circumcised men enjoy sex just as much as those who aren't circumcised.

The CDC doesn't say circumcision overcomes cultural differences, they just say it makes men slightly less likely to contract STD's.  Men in may poor African countries where HIV is common don't catch it because they aren't circumcised, they catch it because they have so much promiscuous and unprotected sex in a country where HIV is relatively common.
MEFOBILLS Added May 15, 2018 - 9:09pm
World Health Organization on Circumcision:

Male circumcision reduce HIV transmission rate

There is compelling evidence that male circumcision reduces the risk of heterosexually acquired HIV infection in men by approximately 60%. Three randomized controlled trials have shown that male circumcision provided by well trained health professionals in properly equipped settings is safe

Richard Pryor used to joke about how being uncircumcised made you even more sensitive.  He was like "are you kidding?"  It doesn't need to be more sensitive.
Stone-Eater Added May 16, 2018 - 6:19am
MEFO

I'm not "cut". And my wife has AIDS to a degree that she almost died because she refused to take antivirals until she was in hospital (African superstition -> AIDS does not exist.......). We've been together since 22  years and still are. And she was HIV positive since I knew her - but we both didn't know it.

Doctors told me in 2003 when she was deadly sick in hospital that I should not have sex with her anymore since I was (and still am) negative. We didn't care. She's well ever since she started to take the meds, and I'm still alive. Circumcized or not.

So, when taking the statistics, I should, as NOT being circumcized, be at least HIV positive by now after all these years (she probably infected herself back around 1994). But I'm not. Look at realities. I know a LOT of cases like myself in Africa.
MEFOBILLS Added May 17, 2018 - 12:33pm
SE,
You are falling into the trap that all races are the same.  You may not be as susceptible to the aides virus as a negro.

In other words, being circumcised may be MORE advantageous for negro race due to the virus "hanging" out in their skin cells under foreskin.

Also, there are always statistical outliers.  In logic it is called:  THE EXCEPTION DOESN'T MAKE THE RULE.

What matters is full data sets, then the shape of the data.  When collecting data, race should be considered as a variable.  Outliers are shown as tails in Statistics, and are thrown out - they are not statistically relevant.

If you have many times the rate in Africa than you do in white countries, then there are other factors at play - and they may not all be attributable to "behavior" like poor hygiene.
Tom C. Purcell Added May 17, 2018 - 12:41pm
Trivial discussion - circumcision.  This is indicative of how dumb this people-society is becoming.  Books and articles on human foreskin and how it relates and connects to God?  Now that is a retarded perversion of any discussion relating to faith in God and who or what God prefers.

Why don't you instead, study and break down the Talmud if you're into bizarre, cultish behavior and story.  If you fancy yourself faith-based then break down the Torah or New Testament.
MEFOBILLS Added May 17, 2018 - 1:15pm
Tom,
The bizarre cultish behavior of Jewish Rabbi's sucking baby dicks to remove foreskin is something different than a sanitary medical procedure.

Also, here is some data on African-American susceptibility to aides.  This data could be seen as eliminating hygiene as a variable assuming that Black American Males have the American pattern of bathing/showering rates. (This is a good assumption.)

us statistics

In 2016, 39,782 people were diagnosed with HIV in the U.S.
Gay and bisexual men, particularly young African American gay and bisexual men, are most affected.
Benjamin Goldstein Added May 17, 2018 - 2:35pm

Wait a second! I agree with Kelly again.
Tom C. Purcell Added May 17, 2018 - 3:15pm
Mefobills,

Tsk tsk... Haven't you heard?  Statistics and facts are racist (unless suited to fit the narrative of so called "minorities").
Jeffrey Kelly Added May 17, 2018 - 3:28pm
@Benjamin Goldstein:
”Wait a second! I agree with Kelly again.”

You are showing unusually good sense.
;)

This whole thing strikes me as much ado about nothing.  The person in question needs medication and a vacation.
MEFOBILLS Added May 17, 2018 - 5:47pm
Tom,
If you haven't figured it out yet, I could give a care if a minority or anybody is butt-hurt by reality.  I'm reality based and the things I say are shocking to those people who live in lib-tard fantasy world.

I'm claiming that black men are racially different, and more prone to HIV, and therefore are a good candidate for circumcision.   I then backed up my claims with data.  Maybe some writerbeat liberal would like to call up HIV.gov and tell them they are full of shit, and their data on negroes is incorrect?

10,000 years or more of differential evolution DOES show up in odd places, especially in biology and response to medications and diseases.

Some blacks even think that HIV is invented by evil white geniuses to genocide blacks.
Tom C. Purcell Added May 17, 2018 - 5:59pm
LOL.  Perfect response.  Yes as you can probably see, I agree with you, Mefobills.

"I'm claiming that black men are racially different, and more prone to HIV, and therefore are a good candidate for circumcision."

Yep, some are fit for circumcision.  And some, by their behavior are better suited for castration, or as game in a hunt.  Some yet may be best left alone.  The circumcision part might have to be left up to the parent and/or individual.  Criminals on the other hand, especially violent, repeating criminals...Without Further Ado.......
MEFOBILLS Added May 17, 2018 - 6:15pm
Tom,
If you have a sovereign money system, it is easy to have a fund for removal.  In other words, blacks that cannot norm to high civilization standards, or have become a danger to the common good, can be funded to LEAVE.

Since data on black rapes is also off the charts, then 100% circumcision of negro boys could save rape victim lives.
Jeffrey Kelly Added May 17, 2018 - 6:57pm
Wow, I gotta say, Tom and Mefo, that the above conversation shows me more about you than what it says about black people.

BTW, Tom, I’m also on Twitter:

JK1970
@12841chelmno

I’ve discovered that Twitter deniers know less than you about the Holocaust.  I’m having a nice time giving them a thumping.
MEFOBILLS Added May 17, 2018 - 7:00pm
Jeffrey,
Sorry to break it to you - you don't administer thumpings.  Many of the narratives you espouse are debunked, yet you continue.

Normally, people who are honest with themselves, then do a re-evaluation.

MEFOBILLS Added May 17, 2018 - 7:01pm
So Jeffrey,
What is wrong with saving black lives, and their rape victims?
Jeffrey Kelly Added May 17, 2018 - 7:27pm
@MEFOBILLS:
”Jeffrey,

Sorry to break it to you - you don't administer thumpings.  Many of the narratives you espouse are debunked,”

No, I debunk denier bullshit.  I’ve been enjoying doing it on Twitter.  After all, if deniers won’t come to me I have to go to them.

“yet you continue.”

It’s fun as a hobby.

“Normally, people who are honest with themselves, then do a re-evaluation.”

Take your own advice.

“So Jeffrey,
What is wrong with saving black lives, and their rape victims?”

I’m into saving black lives.  Spare me the racist bullshit.

MEFOBILLS Added May 17, 2018 - 7:30pm
Jeffrey,
Facts aren't racist.  Facts are Facts.   There is no arguing with the statistics.
You are in denial on both the holocaust and race.
Leroy Added May 17, 2018 - 7:37pm
It's interesting how we can condemn backward cultures for female genital mutilation, yet fail to see the comparable situation with males.  We try to justify the mutilation on medical grounds.  If we attempt to be objective, we would see that there is little difference between the acts of female genital mutilation and male genital mutilation.

I was circumcised.  My son is not.  It was his mother's choice.  She agrees with circumcision but wanted to wait until later.  My thoughts are that if you are going to do it, do it at a time when he won't remember.  A Filipino colleague tells me that they wait until they are 13 or so.  The boys choose whether or not they want it.  It is kind of like a coming of age and most choose to be circumcised because they don't want to be different.  It makes sense to me.   At this point, I will leave it up to my son.
Jeffrey Kelly Added May 17, 2018 - 8:17pm
@MEFOBILLS:
”Jeffrey,
You are in denial on both the holocaust and race.”

Well, I do know this:
You and Tom are cowards.
Tom C. Purcell Added May 17, 2018 - 8:18pm
Heh, Jewey K dishing out "holocaust thumpings".  lol.
Pardero Added May 17, 2018 - 10:31pm
I like Leroy's approach.

Some trivia on European resistance to HIV.
Was it the plague or smallpox that gave Europeans resistance to HIV?
Jeffrey Kelly Added May 17, 2018 - 11:04pm
I thump you, Tom.  Twitter deniers are dumber than you are.
Michael B. Added May 17, 2018 - 11:11pm
Funny, I read somewhere that European and other porn-watchers are convinced that many Americans are Jewish because of the preponderance of pruned American peckers spraying the usual stuff in and/or on the usual places, lol.
MEFOBILLS Added May 17, 2018 - 11:19pm
I thump you, Tom.  Twitter deniers are dumber than you are

Jeffrey, Tom is not dumb, and neither are you.  You are using another form of miss-applied logic.  By setting a person beneath you, then your position becomes "superior" and hence above scrutiny.  The very thing you accuse "Nazis" (being superior) you are doing.  It is then a slippery slope to gassing your detractors.
Tom C. Purcell Added May 18, 2018 - 11:01am
"I thump you, Tom.".

What are you, Roger Rabbit now?  Or was that comment intended in more of an Ivan Drago "I must break you" kind of tone?  A betting man would put the chips on my comments and articles versus yours.  My bet is that for just about any intelligent person that were to size up our exchanges, compare our writings, they would put their chips on Tom C. Purcell besting Jeffrey Kelly.
Jeffrey Kelly Added May 18, 2018 - 7:44pm
@ Tom Purcell:
 "What are you, Roger Rabbit now?"

That's a great movie, Tom.  Thanks for the reminder.

"A betting man would put the chips on my comments and articles versus yours.  My bet is that for just about any intelligent person that were to size up our exchanges, compare our writings, they would put their chips on Tom C. Purcell besting Jeffrey Kelly."

Well, if memory serves you tend to get grouchy and run off.

It's OK, Tom.  I've had several Twitter deniers get hurt feelings after I ripped them to shreds.  They felt the need to cry and block me.  I get it though I think their dear Onkel Dolfie would be so disappointed in them.
John Minehan Added May 19, 2018 - 11:28am
The issue is just the tip of the iceberg . . . .
Jeffrey Kelly Added May 19, 2018 - 7:32pm
LOL, good one.
Stone-Eater Added May 20, 2018 - 9:19am
I know that I'm immune to HIV. But that doesn't give me the right to look down on Blacks which are more prone to get it, as the tendency here seems to suggest.

And whatever people think about Blacks or Whites or Yellows or Purples, I know I have a place in Africa where I'm welcomed with open arms. Unlike in my own country where absolute egoism and consumer mentality is the religion. So spare me with racism in that discussion.

Nobody is forced to fuck a black or a white person or live together with one. And sometimes I wonder if a white queer with HIV is less respected than a black hetero without HIV in the US LOL
opher goodwin Added May 20, 2018 - 6:58pm
Things like this should never be carried out on anyone underage. It is an abuse.
Jeffry Gilbert Added May 21, 2018 - 6:57am
Never remembering having had a foreskin I can't say whether I missed out on something or not. Just another one of those things I had no imput on like being born in DUHmerica or being white.
Rusty Smith Added May 21, 2018 - 3:37pm
Adrienne Soti you speak with quite a bit of authority on a subject were I presume you have no personal experince with.   You have suggested men who get circumcised lose a substantial portion of their ability to enjoy sex and I suppose be satisfied, so I'd like to know, have the circumcised men you've had sex with been unable to climax?

I'm not sure if you have any idea what sex is about for a man, presuming you are a woman as your avatar makes it appear, but let me assure you men's organsms are pretty straight forward, things feel REAL good and then comes the GREAT part.  Men aren't women, no man is satisfied with any sexual experince that doesn't result in an orgasm for him.  You might get more excited when you see a foreskin, but it's as useless as tonsils to a man.

There are many reasons why a man might not get excited when they have sex with you, but I circumcision is not one of them unless they were circumcised with an ax and lost much more than the foreskin.

All the fun stuff is under the foreskin.  About the only good thing about having one intact is that it's harder to hurt the sensitive parts underneath it, when they are covered by the foreskin.  If we were swinging through the trees bare ass naked, it might be nice to have that protected but most men keep it well protected with clothing until they want to use it so today it doesn't even do that.
MEFOBILLS Added May 22, 2018 - 12:33pm
SE

Since when do you have to look down at people for being different?

Man, that is some seriously messed up ideology you have there SE.

Because blacks are different - WHICH OVER 10,000 YEARS OF DIFFERENTIAL EVOLUTION PREDICTS - does not automatically require you to look down at them.

If you want you can look UP.  Or how about look across evenly.

Or even better, try to understand the differences and approach from that REALISTIC point of view.

If black males are prone to HIV residing under their foreskin, then if you care about blacks, then you would be FOR circumcision.

Since you are a white male, then this does not apply to you.

I keep telling everybody here at WB, that to note racial differences does not make you a racist.  The two ideas are not linked, it is only in your mind that this false linkage exists.